Monday, February 11, 2008

Mid-Afternoon Blues

I was so full of energy and plans and determination this morning. Alas, where has it all gone? And with it has gone the time. I have reached that mid-to-late afternoon time (around 3 or 4ish) where I am left with only the overwhelming thoughts of all that remains undone. So much I want to do in each and every day and yet I lack the energy to maintain the pace. By this time of day I have switched over to regular daily maintenance (i.e. dinner preps and kitchen cleaning) or avoidance (i.e. hide in my room doing not much of anything in particular while I try to avoid the noise levels of the children playing elsewhere in the house). I know that most likely, not much else productive will be done by me after this point in the day. I'm just waiting for it to be bedtime so I can chill out in my warm bed (kind of an oxymoron, eh?!), watch a little TV, and go to sleep. I am so much better in the mornings. For example, last Friday night - the kitchen was a total and absolute wreck (even though I didn't even cook dinner - just ordered pizza) and I was going to be gone to a crop all day Saturday. Ron saw the disaster and panicked a little. What do you mean you're going to bed? Aren't you going to clean up before you leave? Trust me, I told him. That's what tomorrow is for. You see, for him, sooner is better than later and evenings are better than mornings. But for me... later and eventually work fine. And so does 5 a.m.! I got up at 0515, cleaned the kitchen, showered, finished loading odds and ends into the car, and was ready to leave by 7. I'm just better in the morning. More efficient, perhaps a bit. But generally just better able to cope.

So know you're thinking... why not just get up early every day then? I'm thinking the same thing myself. Unfortunately I do struggle a bit more with getting up early (without a good reason like scrapbooking to look forward to!) when it is so dark and cold outside. My other problem is that I'm up early because I want to be alone. If I make too much noise or turn on too many lights, well then, I won't be alone any more. And if I'm not making noise or turning on lights, well then, what am I accomplishing? See the problem? I just need someone to fix it for me. Fix. IT. Please!!!

For now, the sun is still shining, though it is starting to fall below the treeline so technically I can still think of it as daytime. So perhaps I shall go back to my deep-cleaning of the girls' room. We're having leftovers for dinner (shh - don't tell Ron!) so I don't have to do that right away. The kitchen can wait until morning (shh - don't tell Ron!). And so far today I have vaccuumed up about 10 pounds of snack crumbs, changed the sheets, found a library audiobook that I swore I had returned in June last year, and freecycled the baby dolls that the girls NEVER play with. I'm tired of looking at them - out they go! (The dolls, not the girls.) Let's see what other damage I can do in there before the sun goes down...

1 comment:

Mama Llama said...

No Way...wait...let me digest this for a moment...

She-Ra, the Super-Mom, is... (gasp) HUMAN???

jajaja

Welcome to the wishing-I-could-take-a-mid-afternoon-nap club...I'll send your official membership card in the mail, and you can join me in what has been a struggle for me since my early 20s!

So...see how much more productive you have been...you've got YEARS on some of us! :)

Be well, She-ra.