Thursday, April 26, 2012

Week in the Life - Day 4

Thursday, April 26, 2012

0600 Wake up.  Ron is getting ready for work.  I’m not ready to get up so I go back to sleep.

0630 Wake up again.  Go downstairs to get coffee then come back up to check emails, Facebook, etc.

0737 Time to get up!  Running late this morning.  It’s raining as I’m getting dressed.



0750 Go downstairs.  Definitely running late.  Good thing I have the day off from making lunch (all three signed up to buy lunch today).  Start a load of laundry.  Ryan is looking for his track uniform.

0801 Rally the troops – it’s time to go!

0816 Dropping the kids at school.  It is a slow-moving car line this morning.

0829 Leaving McD’s, breakfast in hand.

0838 Back home.  It is definitely raining harder up here at the top of the hill than it was down in town.

Eat breakfast and check email/Facebook/blogs again.  Order the Shutterfly book for Eleanor’s birthday gift.  Hear noises outside – see Janice and Bud back again, this time with a Uhaul truck.  Rotate the laundry (there’s the socks I was looking for this morning!).  Wash the crockpot.  Go freezer diving to find meat for the chili.  I have too much leftover bread.  What can I make other than bread pudding?

0945 Get the taxes ready for the mail while the meat is defrosting a bit.

0957 I have over-taped the envelope (I think it’s a hereditary condition!) and given the birds a snack.  They don’t seem to like the new flavor of bird bars (suet).  I hear happy bird sounds behind me as I’m heading back inside.

1002  Camporee menu review and looking at grocery store flyers.  Looks like Albertsons is the winner.

1018 Wait!  I need chili recipe before I go to the store in case I need some ingredients.

1029 Might as well get started on the chili before I leave.  Oh and I need to start the baked potatoes too!

1035 It totally turning out to be chili weather today.  And I didn’t even know that when I planned the menu.

1048 Okay.  Done for now.  The bigger chunks need to defrost more before I can cut them up.

1058 Leaving to run errands.

1103 Oops- went the wrong way.  Guess I’ll go to the other post office.

1108 There are lots of cars at the post office.  Hope there’s not a long line inside.  Once inside, an older German gentleman in line behind me showed me a 2nd form I was missing to mail my certified tax return.  The postal clerk was nice as well.  He showed me the new cherry blossom stamps.  Somehow he had guessed that Ron was a Marine which led to me telling him we had moved from DC.  A retired Marine was at the window next to me and he jumped in to tell a story about challenge coins.  I had no idea people actually challenged others to show their coins.  (If you don’t have a coin, then you must buy the drinks.)  I figured it was just a military urban legend.  All in all a very interesting trip to the post office!  An example of how life is different in a smaller town.

1121 Leaving the post office.

1126 It has stopped raining and you can see blue skies over the ocean.

1129 At school.  I get an email that track is cancelled.  Hmm…now how shall I work our afternoon schedule?  I almost forget about Bella’s piano lessons in my plans.  I should be able to bring Ryan shopping for the Boy Scout food now instead of doing it myself.  Better to be able to involve the scout whenever possible!

1141 Gift cards purchased from the office.

1151 Yikes!  Just met the mail lady coming out of the driveway as I’m going in.  That blind corner scares me sometimes – I’m always afraid something like this will happen.  Luckily we met on the straightaway and passed with no problems.

12:30 p.m. I give up!  I have been searching online for the clothing storage idea I had seen that I wanted to use for Ryan’s room.  I can’t find it on Pinterest or in a google search.  What was it?  Cubes?  Shelves?  Crates?  Argh!

12:35 p.m.  Watch NCIS on dvd while sewing Ryan’s new rank badge on his shirt.

12:55 p.m. Watch more NCIS while I cut up more meat for chili, eat lunch (leftovers from CJs), and fold laundry.

1:48 p.m. Still folding laundry…

2:35 p.m. Getting ready to sew the hem on Ryan’s new scout pants but wait!  What time is it?  Ack!  It’s time to go to school to pick up the kids.

2:42 p.m. Leave for school.

3:18 p.m. Home.  No track meet and no talent show dance practice today.  Ryan and Bella have snacks and do homework.  Bella grabs a snack and gets ready for piano.

3:41 p.m. Time to leave for piano.

3:55 p.m. Arrive at piano.  The silver knob on my gear shift is missing – apparently it has fallen off while I was driving over.  Luckily I find it on the floor and am able to stick it back on.

3:59 p.m. Bella goes inside for her lesson and I wait in the car.  I check email on my phone and then I read my book.

4:19 p.m. Hear a train going through the valley.

4:49 p.m. Home from piano.  Felisa shows us a lizard with no tail that she found.  Then the kids take the trash cans out to the curb and dinner is eaten in shifts.

5:21 p.m. Ron called – he is on the way home.

5:44 p.m. Ryan and I head out for his guitar lesson.

5:46 p.m. Pass Ron on the way down the hill.

5:53 p.m. Arrive at the music shop.  My mind was wandering as it does, thinking about this and that, and I almost passed it!

6:00 p.m. Ryan goes inside for his lesson and I stay in the car, reading my book while I wait.

6:30 p.m. Lesson over.  Time to go shopping for Camporee food.

7:23 p.m. Done shopping for the campout.  Spent $52 for 4 meals for 4 boys.  Not too bad.

Once home I remind Felisa it is her turn to do the dishes.  Ryan packs for the campout.  Bella is finishing her mission report.  Looks like it may be a late-to-bed night for everyone.

8:45 p.m. Put away my laundry and get ready for bed.  Check email/Facebook/Pinterest one last time and work on updating Week in the Life to my blog.  I’m still only on Tuesday!

9:47 p.m.  Tired.  Ready to shut down the computer and go to sleep.

No comments: