Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 8

Day 8 – Thursday – June 14, 2012

0325 Wake up.   Yawn!  It is much too early to be awake.
0350 Leave for the airport.

0425 Rental car returned.  We met a Dutch guy on the shuttle who was telling us about the movie “Soldier Orange”.  I’ll have to look that up later and then tell my new Dutch friend, Els, about it!  We are checked in and our baggage checked for the flight.

0500 Made it through security and down to the trains to wait for a ride to the concourse.  Once there, we find that it is too early for any food places other than Starbucks to be open.  I got a latte and Ryan had a hot chocolate and a muffin.

0600 Flight leaving on time, headed for Denver.  On the flight, the flight attendant sang to us at the beginning.  Then at the end she made an announcement to thank veterans for their service.  The pilot welcomed us to Denver and said that we were stopping for “gas and directions” for the continuing flight service.  Once inside the airport, the view is very hazy.  Someone stole the mountains!  I think it is a combination of the Denver smog and smoke from the wildfires.

1005 Arrive in Albuquerque.  The landing is a bit rough and it seemed like the pilot must have been standing on the brakes, trying to get us slowed down before the end of the runway.   Someone’s iPad even slid up the aisle several rows. 

Grandma R and the girls meet us in the baggage claim area.  We go to brunch at Weck’s.  We stop for gas in Bernalillo ($3.45/gallon) so we’ll be full for our drive tomorrow.

3:00 p.m. Grandma takes the kids (all but Mark who is napping) to the pool.  I get to stay behind.

3:45 p.m. Remember that I have a few bills to pay.  Unfortunately my notebook is in the car, at the pool.  I’ll have to check it later to make sure I didn’t miss any!

For dinner we had Dion’s pizza.  For dessert, fudgesicles for the kids; cake and ice cream for the adults.  Then the kids decide to make some fresh-squeezed lemonade with some of the lemons we brought from AG.

After dinner I am finishing laundry and trying to gather all our stuff.  The downside of showing up several days after the van is that I have no idea what has been unloaded and where it has ended up!  I think I managed to get everything reeled back in though.  I hope!

10:00 p.m. Need to get some sleep for our long drive to Texas tomorrow.  I am very close to finishing my book, Caravans, so I do that before I finally go to sleep.  That puts my total for the week at 4 books read.

No comments: