Thursday, December 28, 2006

I am a perfectionist

My name is Sheila, and I am a perfectionist.

There. I said it. It's funny, really, because I have never considered myself a perfectionist. There is absolutely such a thing as good enough. However, I read something this year (of course, who knows now what it was!) that tells me I am, in fact, a perfectionist. I'm not the kind that can't be finished with something because it's not perfect. I'm the kind that can't get started unless the circumstances are perfect to allow for perfect completion. I am a Perfectionist Procrastinator. Or a Procrastinating Perfectionist. Or even a Procrastinating Circumstantial Perfectionist. I don't want to do "It" until everything is just right and I know that I am able to complete "It" as nicely as "It" looks in my imagination. But time has a way of marching on and deadlines eventually loom and I'm forced to "Just Do It". Once I get started, I lose the perfectionism and just do the best I can and that's okay with me. Though I do regret my inability to start things a little sooner because then I would be less stressed out, less rushed, and "It" would probably turn out nicer or be received on time instead of late, as it usually is.

I found this poem in a book I bought at Michaels the other day... it kind of sums things up. This poem is about Christmas cards but really you could substitute just about anything and it would still be true for me...

The Card I Meant To Send
by Thena
Smith

Last Christmas I resolved
To start my cards righ then,
When I would have time to ponder
The cards that I would send.
The cards would be so lovely,
Beautiful beyond compare:
The lovely masterpieces I would send
To show my friends I care.
The colors would be lovely.
And the cards would be 3-D.
All created and hand-designed:
Totally and uniquely me!
Imagine the shock I felt,
When the calendar on my PC
Said my time had already run out,
And it was December 23!
So dear friends, I beg of you,
Do not despair or grieve.
For in my heart I love you still,
But this is the card you will receive...
From me.
P.S. I'm starting on next year's cards on Jan. 1st...
And they will be lovely!!

No comments: