Saturday, June 14, 2008

Let the Summer Begin

Summer vacation has begun... I saw the first lightning bug of the summer last night so I guess that makes it official.

Today is the first day of our Daddy Farewell Tour and Mini Road Trip. Ron and I were up at 0530 to continue the packing and other trip preparations. We were aiming for a 0700 departure (changed from the original time of O'Dark Thirty last night when we were both too tired to function).

0935 - Car is filled with gas and McD's breakfast is on board. $4.09/gallon at Safeway. Ron is driving in the van with the kids (a little last minute bonding time) while I'm following behind in the black car. All. by. myself. Woo hoo!

0959 - Traffic jam on 95 south. Which is what we were hoping to avoid by leaving at O'Dark Thirty. Oh well.

1001 - Okay, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm sure there will be more though!

1020 - Fredericksburg traffic and we still have 15 miles before we even get to Fredericksburg.

1048 - I think I need to find a rum ball recipe. Someone at lunch the other day mentioned that they ship well and are received with much appreciation by the soldiers on deployment.

1111 - Stopped. On the highway. Because??? I just love driving on 95 south. Not!

1145 - Made it past Richmond. The landscape and traffic patterns have really changed. More rural/small town now and less crowds.

12:32 p.m. North Carolina!!!

2:34 p.m. Leaving our lunch stop. We ate at the "retro" 95/64 Diner in Rocky Mount which was right next to the Harley showroom. Harley was having some sort of event so we went inside and looked around. Found a cool tshirt for Ryan but didn't want to pay $15. Bella thought the stuffed Harley Hog was ugly. I found a nice pink/white jacket but again didn't want to pay $100 especially since I really didn't need it.

3:11 p.m. Lots of bikes (tied to cars of course) headed to the beach today. I guess bikes must be required equipment.

3:56 p.m. Fire in a field. Fire truck approaches the intersection so we stop. Then the fire truck stops and turns off his light. He's not going to the fire?!? I don't get it!

4:30 p.m. Stop for a Felisa potty break. Ron buys a coke but what I really want is a McD's ice coffee so I guess I'll stick with water.

4:41 p.m. Ron stops at McD's so I can get a coffee. How sweet! Too bad this backwards McD's DOESN'T have any!!! Grrrr!!!

4:50 p.m. First Sonic sighting! Mmmm... Sonic...

5:09 p.m. Another Felisa potty break. This time conveniently located at a McD's that DOES have ice coffee. Yea!

5:11 p.m. Second Sonic sighting. This one had cheesecake bites advertised on the marquis. Mmmm...

5:32 p.m. Arrive at the hotel. Ryan is impressed with the view from the hallway/parking lot - you can see the river. Then we go inside and see the view outside the room window. The Ocean! The Beach! And a Pool! Daddy's hotel choice rocks!

We went to the beach to check the water - much warmer than NJ! - and then went to the pool for about an hour before dinner. Dinner at the hotel then we gave Ron his first Father's Day gift - the Planet Earth DVD set. We watched seasonal forests then went to sleep with the sound of the ocean and other hotel night owls still swimming outside. Oh and don't forget the giant light illuminating the whole beach.

No comments: