Friday, September 19, 2008

Monkey Bar Madness

So never a dull moment is a saying that applies way too often to my life.

This afternoon/evening's plan was to take Bella to soccer practice then help Mom out with her car. Dinner might be the McD's drive-thru since I didn't have anything planned and then we would be home free and relaxing until about 2:00 tomorrow when we head out for soccer games.

Practice started at 6. At 6:10 Felisa comes back from the playground, crying because she had fallen from the monkey bars and her arm hurt. As I was holding her on my lap, trying to calm her down, Mom called. We told the coach's wife that we were heading out to pick up my mom and we would be back before the end of practice. Felisa calmed down on the walk down the hill to the car but when I lifted her up to put her in she started crying again. And then she just didn't stop. Which led me to believe that this injury might in fact warrant a trip to the doctor.

So we picked up Mom then came back to the house to find the doctor's phone number. We're in that in-between stage between Kaiser benefits which are ending any day now as far as I know and Tricare. We are tricare standard already by virtue of Ron being on active duty so we are entitled to health care but only at Ft Belvoir which is probably 40 minutes away, without any major traffic incidents blocking the way between here and there. The Prime paperwork that I filled out on Monday won't take effect until Oct. 1. I called the close (prime) clinic first because I was told they might help me before oct. 1 if they have open spaces. No dice. So I called the other number (ft. belvoir). Decided I really didn't want to drive all the way over there in Friday traffic. So I called Kaiser. They said that my benefits were still active and made me an appointment at the much-closer-than-the-Army urgent care facility. While I was on the phone with the healthcare merry-go-round, Ryan and Grandma were practicing their first aid on Felisa. Ice packs and a sling.

Ryan and Mom went back to the soccer field to get the chairs and blanket I left (because we were coming right back! ha!) and bring Bella home. Once they came back, Felisa and I took off for our appointment. Fortunately I remembered the way to the clinic since I hadn't been there in months.

Two and a half hours later (a decent amount of time for all that we had to do though it seemed like an eternity while we were stuck in the waiting rooms!), we have bone pictures, a soft cast, and an appointment to see the orthopedic doctor on Monday. Looks broken on the x-ray which the other doctor will confirm or deny and then set with a permanent cast if necessary.

And now - off the sleep. As long as Barky McBarkBark doesn't keep me up all night...

3 comments:

Mama Llama said...

My poor baby girl.

You know, MY children are going to want to sign the cast...

Just sayin'.

Sleep well, darling.

Scatteredmom said...

Aww...poor Felisa! :(

It just never ends. Jake came home last night bleeding all over the place-he'd fallen off his bike and took a chunk out of his leg....

zirelda said...

Aw.. poor kid.

I hate days like that.