Thursday, September 11, 2008

What Are Husbands Good For?

Well, I can name a few things today that need a husband's touch...

*Jumpstarting the car
*Picking up his mother from the airport so I can do my assistant leader job at Cub Scouts

This weekend is a 3-day crop. Only happens twice a year. But arranging child care, carpooling, etc. for 3-days is like planning a world summit. And when things like the above happen, it just makes the (temporary) abscence of my dear husband that much more vivid. It's hard enough planning for my abscence when my signed-in-blood, dedicated life partner is around to pick up the slack. Without him to fall back on, things are that much harder. Add a few kinks like the above and it's almost more than I can handle.

Light Bulb Moment...
So while talking to Allie and lamenting about my bad luck today, I discovered something about myself. I'm okay at accepting help that is freely offered. I have a little more trouble asking for help repeatedly. An occasional here and there is okay but in my current position, I find myself asking for help more than I'd like. I don't feel like I've earned 6 months worth of help. Helping points are like money - you earn some by helping others and you spend some by asking for help or by accepting help that is offered. I am feeling many things today. One thing is exhausted, more mentally than physically. Another thing is frustrated. And lastly, I'm feeling a little unbalanced in the helping department.

So, I went upstairs and had a good cry to vent all the pent up frustration and stress. Then I thought about it for a few minutes. I think what's missing right now is the income of helping points. No one is asking me to help them with anything. I'm guessing it's because they know I'm all alone here and don't want to burden me. Which is lovely. And I appreciate it. But I still need to do small favors here and there or else I'm going to be unable to ask for any favors back. I'm spending my help points without replenishing them. And I don't want to be bankrupt before Ron comes back!

So people... ask for my help! But not this weekend. I'm busy...

:)

No comments: