Friday, July 17, 2009

Day 3

Friday, July 17, 2009

0720 - Time to get up. Decided to sleep in today!

0730 - Going downstairs to get coffee. The kids are all still sound asleep.

0745 - I have checked my email. Time to take a shower perhaps? And the kids are still sleeping.

0840 - Going down for breakfast.

0903 - Leaving the hotel for the day's adventures.

1st stop - Frazier International History Museum
Our favorite parts:
R - the sword fighting demonstration and acting out all the mannequin displays
B - being corn (sounds like a strange answer doesn't it? During one of the mannequin display re-enactments, she chose to be the corn spilling out of a bag.)
F - Fontaine Ferry carnival games
S - seeing the English history related to the book I read last week

2nd stop - Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum
Our favorite parts:
F - the giant bat
R - Bud's Attic scavenger hunt
B - Fastball pitching machine display
S - factory tour

So we're done with what I have planned for the day. And it's only lunchtime. Hmmm. Now what are we going to do? I suggest lunch in Indiana (it's just across the river - we can see it from here!) and a drive-by of Ft. Knox. Of course, I'm having trouble finding my way to the highway I need to get across the river (the GPS doesn't help if I don't have a destination to plug in - there's no category for "random lunch in Indiana"!) I spot a McD's and decide to go ahead and grab some food for our drive. Finally make it onto 65N and head across the river. Loop around and we're back in Kentucky in no time. The drive to Ft. Knox was much longer. Once we got down to the base, we stopped at the Patton Museum and saw a bunch of tanks. Then we drove past the US Gold Bullion Depository. I let Felisa take the picture since we weren't allowed to stop. Don't want to get arrested so early in the vacation...

Back at the hotel... the kids play a bit while I try to decide whether or not we should go to the Louisville Riverbats Baseball game tonight. I'm tired. Going to the game would require me to drive back downtown, find parking in an unfamiliar city, and then deal with the crowds. So I let the kids decide. The girls voted No. Ryan said he didn't care either way. So, No Game it is. I feel kind of bad but it's just not my forte. It's something Ron would be good at. And since the kids don't seem to mind... So instead we went to Pig City BBQ for dinner. Then back to the hotel for a quick swim (the breeze was a bit chilly!) before the premiere of Wizards on Deck with Hannah Montana.

Back on the road again tomorrow...

1 comment:

Scatteredmom said...

Just got back from Road Trip 2009 and I'm posting about it day by day in the Cookie Jar.

SO NICE to be home. Lots of fun, though! :)