Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 5

July 24, 2008 – Thursday – Day 5

0650 Wake up. Bella is already awake and playing with the mouse and cheese tic tac toe game. I check my email and the weather forecast. Looks like rain all day so we probably won’t be visiting the Alamo after all.

0723 Go inside (we sleep in the barn/guest house) for coffee and breakfast.

1000 Back to the barn to shower (me) and get dressed (all of us).

When I get back inside, James and Lana are watching the news. Looks like a tornado touched down in San Antonio.

Lunch time

12:57 p.m. Lana and the kids and I leave the ranch, headed for the San Antonio Airport to pick up Grandpa Ford.

Once we get out on the highway, Betty Lou calls with an updated forecast. A tornado warning has been issued and the storm is heading up the highway between us and the airport. We find the news radio station to listen for updates and keep driving with our fingers crossed. When we get to Boehrne, the clouds are dark and hanging so low it seems like you could just reach out and touch them. We are looking for a tornado but fortunately do not see any. I am very relieved to put those dark ominous clouds behind me. The weather is a little clearer (we must be between bands again!) until we get into the city and are exiting to the airport.

2:24 p.m. Arrive at cell phone waiting area. Lana and I read the USA Today paper that we got from the hotel yesterday while we wait for Dad to call.

3:11 p.m. Dad finally calls. His flight was delayed in Houston. It has started to rain again as we try to find our way back to the terminal. The signs are minimal at best and I end up in a taxis only lane. I eventually find a way out and back over to the passenger car side of the road. We open the door and Dad jumps in. Then we can’t find our way back onto the highway we came in on. Too much construction and too few signs. Spend a lot of time going around in circles. Stop for gas ($3.93/gallon) since we’re almost out. Get directions and finally get on the highway headed back towards the ranch. No dark ominous clouds this time, just rain off and on.

5:17 p.m. Arrive back at the ranch after a much longer trip than I had anticipated. Grandpa Hunley and Evelyn have arrived just in front of us. Must be dinner time soon!

The kids played with the toy cowboy guns and water guns outside while the grownups had drinks and appetizers. Dad got a tour of the barn. Then dinner and cake for dessert. After dessert, the girls returned to their wooden hammer toys while the grownups talked some more. Grandpa and Evelyn left at 9 and I brought the kids to the barn for pajamas, movie, and bed.

9:59 p.m. The kids are watching Madagascar and laughing hysterically.

10:45 p.m. My blog is up to date and I’m hoping the movie will be over very soon because I am TIRED!

*Update on my license plate game:
Today we saw only one new one – Mexico. We think. I told Lana it counts as – 2 points since it almost caused an accident by stopping right in front of me on the highway.


GrammawD said...

Yep, peanut butter on a spoon is favorite of the junior Rs. Glad all is well and you're catching up with kinfolks. Darby was perky for AM walk but still not eating. GrammawF will experiment with food. Stool still the same. Stay safe and kiss the kids. Joy looks for Bella, Foyfie looks for me and now I have 2 guinea pigs.

zirelda said...

Isn't barn living the best? :) Glad you're having a good time although tornados are not so much fun.

mama llama said...

The Mini-van train is making progress. I bet the pioneers wish they had all the amenities we have now!

I'll give you a call sometime soon...when I know you are not driving.

Be well, She-RA!