Thursday, February 16, 2006

Nickel and Dimed

Over the weekend I finished reading the book Nickel and Dimed, on (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich.

It was an easy read, very interesting. A good personal review of what it's like trying to live as a minimum wage worker working in America today (published 2001). This lady, already a writer, in her 50's decides to see if she can live for one month each in 3 different cities working at any unskilled labor job she can find. She worked as a waitress, a maid, and at Walmart. Needless to say, she didn't really succeed in any location.

I like that it gives a personal view of what it's like. From the viewpoint of a "Have" on what it's like to live as a "Have-Not". A few statistics thrown in. But personal. I really enjoyed it at least as long as you discount the guilt that came with the reading. As a Have, it was easier to relate to the author's perspective. It also made the struggle that much more significant. Makes me want to do something. Not sure what, though.

Guess I'll start with good tips and good manners. Put things back where I found them. Be polite to those who are helping me. All things that I should do anyway. And I think that I do, pretty much. But with renewed vigor now. And of course, to teach the kids along the way, respect for others.

No comments: