Thursday, March 02, 2006

Fasting

Fasting stinks... and I stink at fasting! After a couple years in the "club" I have come to know this well so now I have a back-up plan. I still fast from food as best I can. My food intake yesterday (Ash Wednesday) was definitely less than on a regular day, but certainly more than could qualify as true fasting. Hence the backup plan! I also fast from TV/Radio/Internet. I did watch one program last night (well half of it anyway, before I fell asleep - probably weak from imagined hunger!) and about 3-4 times scanned my email inbox(but didn't open any messages!)to see if there was anything immediately important (and of course there wasn't!). But I figure these small lapses could count as the two snacks and one small meal allowed in the latest fasting rules.

Ryan is old enough now to know a little more about what is going on and act as a watchdog... I was making scrambled eggs for breakfast (no sugar for me!). Ryan asks, I thought no food during the day?! I told him that was yesterday. Oh, he says. Well, then, since it is only one day you can have starbucks now! Ahhh... but that part of the sacrifice lasts all the way until Easter, I tell him. So confusing, I know. But eventually he'll have it all figured out and in the meantime he is helping me stay true to my promises, whether I like it or not! And he figured out the starbucks thing just from listening in on my conversations - I hadn't told him directly. Why is it that they only listen when they're not supposed to?!?!

Cookie Crisp... I LOVE Cookie Crisp cereal. Growing up, our family could devour an entire box in one day (or less!). I bought a box a couple weeks ago and we opened it this morning. Oh how I wanted to eat some - just one little cookie - just a taste. But no - I must stay strong. It is only the second day after all. Of course having Felisa sitting on my lap at this exact moment, eating Cookie Crisp isn't helping! I can smell it... I want it!

No comments: