Monday, March 27, 2006

Muscle vs. Fat

Got this in an email article from our class trainer, Nathan...

"Personal fitness trainer Kelli Calabrese MS, CSCS, ACE, notes that every pound of muscle in our bodies burns 35 calories a day, while each pound of fat burns just 2 calories per day.
While 30 minutes of aerobic exercise may burn more calories than 30 minutes of weight training, Calabrese says, "in the hours following the cessation of exercise, the weight training has a longer-lasting effect on boosting metabolism."
Having extra muscle also means you can eat more and gain less. "

I thought the 35 calories vs. 2 calories was particularly interesting. I had never heard that before though I did know that in general having more muscle is good for the metabolism.

Just more random info in the never-ending battle of muscle vs. fat and will I EVER lose those 20 lbs again? At this point I would be ecstatic just to lose 5!

1 comment: