Thursday, January 05, 2006

Am I becoming a hermit?

See, here I am again, talking to my computer instead of to a human being. They say the trend for people today is to spend more time with virtual people than the real, live people right next to them. (All my little people are in the same room watching Baby Looney Tunes. Does that count?) And so I am. I must say that my schedule has changed a lot this past year with our induction into Kindergarten and the big leagues. Gone are the days of spontaneous playdates and passing the day away with our buddies, doing nothing in particular. My days are much more structured with all the various drop-off and pick-up times and smaller windows of opportunity between activities. I have met some other moms this year and made some new, good friends. But I am missing my old friends. I don't see them as often and in the last few months it seems I don't even talk to them on the phone as often. Used to be daily plus. Now it is barely weekly sometimes. I know, I know - we all grow and change, blah blah blah. I know that. Doesn't make it any easier when it happens! And it's not necessarily a permanent thing. May just be a phase. And it is just as much me as them I think. They don't call me but I haven't called them either. It used to be front page news if I stayed home for an entire day, not going anywhere at all. Now it seems I am content to hunker down at home for days at a time. Very weird.

But is it just my friends that I am missing or is there something more? I went to confession during Advent and one of the things that seems to be a common theme for me is my relationship with God or more specifically the lack of such a relationship. So I have been looking for ways to work on this. I recently received an invitation to attend a Cursillo weekend. I have declined in the past, not feeling ready and not wanting to waste the experience on a half-hearted attendance. Well, I think I'm ready. One of the plusses for me is also the weekly post-Cursillo meetings. When I went through RCIA four years ago I had meetings twice weekly which was great -helped me to stay very focused and in touch. Since my official entry into Catholicism it has declined gradually to where I am now. My Small Community of Faith, once very vibrant, is in a down groove right now which certainly isn't helping. And so I say Yes! Sign me up! Of course in life's little ironies, the Cursillo weekend is the same weekend as the Scrapbook Yard Sale I have been looking forward to for months. I was planning to have another booth in the ongoing effort to streamline my scrapping area.

Hmmmm.... God or scrapbooking? Which should I choose? :)

No comments: