Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Four-Eyes, Ugly Eyes

I had an eye appt today. I thought it would be a routine check-up and I would leave the office with fresh contact lenses and a prescription in hand. Alas, this was not to be... I have extra blood vessels on my eyes, caused by a lack of oxygen which was caused by teen-age neglect. They have become inflamed once more (after several years of no problems) and the doctor told me to go without contacts for 3 months. After 3 months we can see if the vessels have drained and find a better, more oxygen-friendly pair of contacts. This is horrible, terrible, awful, no-good, very bad news. And by that I mean the glasses news, not the blood vessels news. Which proves my perspective is skewed. I keep trying to tell myself that in the grand scheme of life a few months in glasses is no big deal. I try to reflect on the blessings of sight and of the availability of good eye care. Perhaps I will be better able to do this next week. For today I am still reeling from the shock. All those days of grade-school teasing and years of self-consciousness are right at the surface. All that baggage once again weighing me down. And because I NEVER wear my glasses, everyone is noticing them and commenting on them which makes me feel worse and more self-concious. I'll feel better next week I'm sure but for now - this sucks!

2 comments:

mapiprincesa! said...

We all have our hangups from our past, so please don't let me undermine yours. You need to realize, however, that you are in a much better place now, having established an identity for yourself that has absolutely nothing to do with how you look but instead everything to do with respect, character and the beauty you exude, both in your exterior appearance and from within.

So hold your head high, and join the rest of us four-eyes, wearing those glasses with pride! :)

Smyling said...

And also...you look HOT in your glasses. And doesn't every guy have a librarian fantasy where the gorgeous girl takes off her glasses & lets her hair down?!