Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Wrapping Paper Challenge

I saw this challenge of sorts on another blog I enjoy (at least I think it was this blog - maybe it was an essay by Amy Dacyczyn, author of The Tightwad Gazette) - http://frugalveggiemama.blogspot.com/ - and think I should adopt it for myself. She decided to see how many years she could go without buying any wrapping paper. I am still using up rolls I bought at an after-Christmas sale 5 years ago! Santa A (mentioned in a previous post) has given us 3 large velvet bags filled with gifts over the last 2 years and I love them! I will be using them every year I think. In addition, gift bags are completely reuseable and I have quite a stash! Not as good for kids or those who like to peek and guess (yes, Ron, that's you!) but definitely a viable option. Then there's the crafty option - decorate your own. I just piled up at least 20 sheets of packing paper that came in a couple boxes. I rolled it up nicely and added it to my wrapping paper bin. The good thing about using this shipping paper is that it is recycleable, unlike traditional wrapping paper. So the shipping company sends it to me, I decorate it and use it on a gift, then off it goes to the recycling plant where it will be made into paper towels and toilet paper. If you haven't tried toilet paper made from 100% recycled paper, I urge you to try it. I buy mine at Whole Foods and occasionally at Safeway in the natural section. To me it is just as good as Charmin and way better than Scott. I mean, what's the point of recycling if we don't complete the triangle?!? REDUCE - REUSE - RECYCLE.

And now for my Recycle Triangle Award winner for this holiday season - the Gaiam box. The company sent it to a friend. She sent it to me. I sent it to my parents, and they sent it back! That box was used 4 times in December! I don't know if I'll be able to use it again before it gets sent to Recycle Land but I feel good that it had a decent life.

And now time to make dinner - recycled Christmas ham! :)

No comments: