Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Miscellaneous Montage

I have a few days and thoughts to get caught up on. I'm a blog-addict already! I am really enjoying this new-found, sort-of daily, journal venue. And so far I'm doing better (lasting longer) than any previous handwritten journals of the past. And once again I must say Thank You to Mom for making me take that typing class in high school even though it dropped my GPA and class rank (can you say "bombed the final!"?)

So anyway, let the miscellaneous montage of blogging begin...

Chiropractic Concerns
Just got a call from Ron - he is headed over to the doctor at Kaiser for an appt to have his sore neck checked (has been sore for 4 days now) - finally! I told him to go see a dr. or a chiropractor about it but he has been dragging his feet all week. He asked me which one I thought he should see, a chiro or a doc. I told him the chiro because they are less invasive. He says they aren't real doctors and "What's wrong with modern medicine?" I said "What's wrong the ancient eastern arts of medicine (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, and chiropractic)?" I don't really know if chiropractic practices are ancient eastern med or not but it seems the less invasive, less chemical way would be the better way to start. Although any doc is better than no doc especially after 4 days! What is it with men and doctors? He suffered through the shingles for a week before he went to the doctor for that. Turns out the sooner you start the meds, the quicker you heal. Oh well...

Marvelous Monday
At the beginning of the year I hated the Monday schedule. I still forget sometimes when making plans that Monday has a special schedule but that's okay (that's related to my Baby Brain - not an excuse, just a fact!). I like the fact that I have 2 hours of travelling-light-only-one-kid errand time. And I like that I have all the kids home and done with our obligations by 1:30. Leaving the house at 3 pm, heck just having a daily 3 pm obligation to remember and take care of, has been a tough adjustment this year. So anyway, back to the marvelous part for this specific Monday... We were able to go to S's house and play. The kids all played well together (though C had a super-nap through most of it) and S and I were able to relax and chat for a couple hours. Ah, bliss... As I mentioned in my previous post about my hermit-ness, I miss these relaxed, relaxing, hang-out-with-my-friends times. It was nice. Hopefully there will be more in the future.

Tiresome Tuesday
Today was a crazy, busy kind of day. I did manage to get up at 6, so got a good start on the day. I have to say, though, that I was seriously debating whether or not I should get up or go back to sleep! Bella and K had swim lessons at 9:30 so S came over and left C with me. About 9:30 some other friends came over for a playdate. The kids all did well together though the youngest were tired from activities the day before so it ended a little early. K and Bella came back happy after a good lesson time. We had some lunch then I got Ryan off to the bus while S stayed behind with all the kids. After this, S and her kids left then I packed up the girls for some errands. I had 2 freecycle pick-ups to make and had enough time to swing by the consignment shop to pick up more tights for Bella (and eventually Felisa!). I really like the heavy-weight thick cotton tights for winter. And of course bare legs in summer! After yesterday's little dress and tights fiasco I decided it couldn't hurt to have an extra set of black and white tights on hand. (I was behind on laundry and couldn't find tights to match either shirt that went under the dress she was wearing and I had to convince her to wear a different dress until I could do some laundry. The tights she wore with the pink dress were cute but were made out of the nylon material and were trashed by the end of the day which is why I like the thick ones - warm and STRONG.)
Back to the story... Bella and Felisa finally fell asleep as intended and had a short nap in the car before Bella's ice skating lesson. I was hungry and caved - went to the McD's drive-through while they slept. I'm thinking I need to give up McD's again for lent this year. And sugar too. So now it's time for ice skating. I forgot to bring mittens and didn't know she needed a helmet. So we borrowed a helmet from the rink and left her hands to get cold. I was a little concerned about how the lesson would go but she keeps telling me that she wants to learn to skate. So we shall see. I do know, though, that I need to remember a helmet, gloves, and warmer pants (they spend a lot of time down on the ice so her pants ended up wet as well). Needless to say she was cold after the 20 minutes of ice time but I think next week will go better since we will be prepared and therefore warmer! A few older girls were also practicing during class time and I enjoyed watching them. I love to watch it on TV and wouldn't mind a few lessons myself. Ron is absolutely opposed to ice skating (some imagined high school trauma, probably involving a girl, seems to be the reason for this) so it's not something we have ever done. Maybe the girls and I can change his mind. We are all nice girls!
And so the day continues... After ice skating we have about half an hour to kill before Ryan gets out of school. So I make the girls sit in the car while I watch a Mommy movie (Surviving Christmas) on the laptop (See, I can plan ahead for some things!) in the car. Get Ryan, get home, chill for a bit then... swimming lessons for Ryan! We are at the other rec center for this one so a longer drive in rush hour. He had to go in the mens room by himself now that he is 6 - a little traumatic for both of us! - I think next time we will wait for a turn in the family/unisex room. Finally- home. A quick game of checkers (I won!), pajamas, reading (BFG by Roald Dahl), and SLEEP! The dishes can wait until morning...

Wet Wednesday...
It's a cold, rainy day. My morning exercise class is overflowing with new year's resolution people. I miss the smaller quieter group we had before. After all, it is 6 am and although I like to chit-chat with my classmates I just don't need all the noise generated by the extra people and chatter! We are late for school this morning because I have to assemble the Kite (K week!) and we had a last minute schedule change (Felisa is sneezing so no playgroup) and need to gather the libraby books. I try not to stress because overall we have been much better this year about being on time. I think it is the early morning class that gets me up and going. So off we go. Drop B at school then head to Safeway (see Agony at Safeway post for full details - it's a doozy!). Now back to this post - had to wake up Felisa and take the girls in the pouring rain to get Ryan from school. Ugh! And now I am neglecting the kids (there hasn't been any screaming or bloodshed yet!) so I can get caught up on my blogging.

And so that is my life.

No comments: