Tuesday, January 24, 2006

TARGET Trouble

And so my shopping woes continue... This time TARGET was the offender. Which is too bad because I generally enjoy shopping there. Depending on what I hear back from my complaint email that was submitted, I may have to further reduce my shopping at Target, which I have been considering anyway for many reasons.

So here it is for all to read...

I was in the R store on Saturday, Jan 21. When I went to the checkout line I brought my own bags for the checker to use. Keep in mind that these are even Target bags that I brought. The checker wrinkled his nose at my bags and offered me clean fresh bags. I said "No thank you. I'd like to use those. I am RECYCLING." Clearly not the answer he was looking for because he then proceeded to tell me that he was being timed by the management and if his per transaction time was too slow he would get in trouble. I told him that I would be happy to help with the bagging once I had my cart completely unloaded. I then pointed out to him that it is Target company policy to promote re-using of the store bags. Does it not list 10 Ways to Reuse a TARGET bag right on the side of every bag?!?! I also told him I would be more than happy to tell the manager how I felt about this No Recycled Bags policy if he would just call the manager over. Of course he didn't. And so I am telling you now. I am NOT happy with this entire experience. And though it could potentially be more inconvenient to me, I am definitely considering taking my business elsewhere. I don't need judgement and snide comments when I am trying to reduce the waste of this world. And besides, don't these bags cost money? I used 4 bags of my own therefore saving that Target store a few cents of overhead. This amount is minimal if you look at it one customer at a time. It has potential to add up to so much more in so many ways. Other stores even offer the savings directly to the customer in a per-bag refund of 3 cents each. I think perhaps it is no mistake that your 10 Ways To RECYCLE list did not include, bring bags back to Target and fill them up again. Perhaps you should rethink this issue from the top. At the very least I expect you to address how the check-out clerks deal with customers who choose to reuse shopping bags.

No comments: